Monday, May 7, 2012

"Life Makes Love Work Hard"

You know that new Taylor Swift song?  "Ours" or something?  I was listening to that song the other day and I swear the lyrics were, 

"so don't you worry your pretty little mind,
people throw rocks at things that shine, 
and life makes love work hard..."
(I have since learned those are NOT the lyrics, but I like mine better!"

I thought, how true.  Life does make Love work hard!  

Think about that show, The Bachelor.  

Sure, anybody could fall in love if you are repeatedly whisked away to far off romantic and exotic places.  Take me on a helicopter ride and let me go rappelling down a beautiful rain forest into the crystal clear shining blue ocean for snorkeling in my designer swimsuit--which fits my tiny little body perfectly, btw.  I would fall in love with just about anybody that had a heartbeat.
But, take that same (um, dare I say it, lame) guy and throw him in the mix of dishes and diapers and dinners that are less than tasty (some nights, not always) with messes that make themselves in a blink of an eye and dates that consist of financial classes and you see who still is in love. Not me. In that light, that lame Hollywood Producer picked shmuck becomes a real loser.

But me, I've got a winner.  Even if we have never been rappelling into the crystal clear ocean.  (We have done the dishes and diapers and less than tasty dinners thing though...lots.)

And guess who's still in love?
Me. That's who.  And him.  I still love this guy, even though in our world, Life DOES make Love work hard. 

But, we made it to 6 years this week and we've got eternity to go.  And I'm happy about it.  Sure, some days are tough. Sure there are disappointments. But, there are still those perfectly happy and wonderful days (sometimes just lots of moments) where I remember, yeah, I picked this guy. I love this guy. He gets to be mine forever. And thankfully, those days (and moments) happen over and over and over again, even throughout the daily grind, the pulse numbing sameness of our life. 

So there you go Life...our Love is going to work hard.  But it's worth it!


We celebrated our anniversary last weekend by sharing a picnic lunch with our family.  We went up Provo Canyon, to Nunns Park, where Mike and I went on one of our first dates (consequently, the date where we both decided, 'Hey, I could date this person. I like this person. We are going to same direction.').  Later, (much much much, MUCH too later to me), he proposed in this same spot.  
Ah, cute!




6 Years Later...
a bit more nuts this time. I was freaked one of the kids would fall in the river, nobody would eat their lunch, everybody was cold.  Less romantic--but, like I said, Life makes love work hard!

 Then, we got to drop the kids off and head to the temple, 'our temple,'  for Sealings.  This is a great way to celebrate your anniversary.  Our marriage is FOREVER!  Yeah!

Later, we spent the evening with friends.  It was perfect.  Thanks for the great day, Babe, and for the great 6 years, and for the rest to come. I love you!




1 comment:

Stephanie Hancock said...

Thanks, I appreciated this today! It is definitely work sometimes to be married, but always worth it. Glad you had such a fun anniversary! Time has gone fast.