Monday, August 29, 2011

Our Luke...


Before I move on to all the other fun things that have been going on (St. George, Josh's birthday, Pinteresting fun) I thought I'd finish up about our Luken Guken.  Bless his sweet little soul--! We've been home for the weekend now, and it is going so much better then I had feared.  Just got back from the follow-up appointment with the Pediatrician and he got a clean bill of health there too!  The stitches will probably take about 6-8 weeks to dissolve, but that's fine with me.  I'm taking that as a good thing cuz I'm all about his little head being good and  sealed before those puppies come out!

I've fretted all weekend about doing more posts due to a nasty comment left on my blog by some random person (never before thought about going 'private' but I do now!).  Something about negligence and self righteousness and miracles not being real.  Well, I'll own up to the pieces of that comment that may be true, but I'm not going to let the false ones bug me anymore.  Miracles are real and negligent ?--sure.  Perhaps.  Knowing what I know now would I have ever put him in that car seat unstrapped? No way!  But, if I was doing it all again without the same 20/20 backwards vision I'd probably do the some thing again.  (To clarify, he was in his car seat, unstrapped, which was clipped into the shopping cart.  When I went over a piece of molding on the floor to see a display better, the cart jigged sideways, causing the car seat to slide to the left, causing Luke to be vaulted out of this seat, and right onto the floor.)  As for being self righteous, I'm not sure what that exactly means but I sure don't think that I have done anything to warrant so many blessings--but I am SO INCREDIBLY grateful that we were blessed with our little Luke.  Someone told me that perhaps Heavenly Father has something big in store for my little man--and I'm going to hold on to that idea.  He's got some big blessings to live up to!

Since coming home, Luke has been doing awesome. He's sleeping good and is a bit more clingy then usual, but I don't mind it--I'll snuggle that boy as long as he'll let me!  I think we are slowly getting the olders back to normal too: Katelyn has stopped waking up at night saying she wants to go home, and Josh is less whiny today then he was yesterday and the day before.  We spent the morning at home today--cleaning, reading books, playing cars, playing beauty shop and just hanging out.  We hit up the pediatrician and then were right back home for afternoon home-ness.

I got in contact with IKEA.  They seem like they are going to be great to work with and I'm hopeful that their insurance will help to offset some of our medical costs.  They aren't specifically at fault, I'm not specifically at fault but between a good deal of bad luck, stupid wheels and buckles, unbuckled babys' and great things to see we landed ourselves in the ICU and I would love to use our extra money each month to save up and take a trip next spring instead of paying off our baby Luke for the next few years of our life!  I guess we'll see!!

We came home from the hospital Thursday afternoon.  Thursday was a tough day for me.  Leaving home Thursday morning with Katelyn crying just about did me in.  I got to the hospital and heard the news that we were going to get to go home and finally broke down.  Crying is very therapeutic! :)  We hung around for several hours picking up prescriptions and copies of the scans, fixing information in the computer, getting all the discharge info, and just being so amazed at how well our Luke was doing!  

Hanging out with Daddy after we got out of the ICU...




Mom's shoulder is the best place to sleep!


Finally totally detached!!

Headed home!!!

 We were home just after lunchtime and spent the afternoon chilling--sleeping, watching TV, reading books, just enjoying being all together!  We built forts in the living room and had yummy dinner-which I didn't have to prepare!


Everybody home and ready for bed--all under one roof!!


Church yesterday was tender.  Seeing all the people who have been praying and thinking about us was so good for my heart.  It's so good to be in a ward full of such great people!!  The songs in sacrament meeting made me teary, the YW in class made me happy, and all my friends made me feel so loved.  It is still unbelievable to me that this time last week I was still having some moments where I thought we might not be bringing our Luke home.  We are so blessed!


I heard a quote during all this that is beginning to make more and more sense. "I have learned that faith means trusting in advance what will only make sense in reverse." -Phillip Yancy.  Lots of things are beginning to make more sense through this lens...the timing of the whole ordeal (most Dr's, I'm told, won't do CT scans on head bumps unless there is great reason to), for one.  I'm practicing not asking 'why' but to ask 'what can I learn.'  I think that it's safe to say this was a life altering event that will change how I look at things from here on out.

Love our little Luke!!!


8 comments:

Chase and Amy said...

We're so glad that you're home and doing so well. We've been thinking about you all alot and hope you're doing great. Makes me hold Lauren a little tighter and I'm so glad you still get to hold onto Luke! :)

Kirsten said...

I, for one, think you are a remarkable example of faith and openness. I'm grateful that things are going well. You deserve the best.

The Ostlers said...

Whoever left that mean comment obviously doesn't know you because you are the sweetest, greatest person I know! I am so glad that your baby is on the mend... he is such an angel and that picture of all 3 of your kids is so precious :)

Nick and Brent said...

How rude someone did that, after everything you and your family have been going through. I don't know where people get the nerve sometimes. That's why I moderate all the comments on my blog too, because I had someone leave a rude comment on my blog a couple years ago.

Anyway, I feel so bad I haven't seen Luke yet! I hope he likes the hat, I saw that and I thought it would be perfect for him and his healing head! I'm sure your family is enjoying being under one roof again, and take all the snuggle time you want with that little guy! :)

The kind of [LOVE] that lasts [FOREVER] said...

I am seriously shocked by somebody, wish you saved crazy persons emails and I def would have said something.. my goodness! Love your Luken! :)
Jillisa

Holly Strong said...

I am so sad that someone would be so critical. We ALL make mistakes but never would we put our children in danger knowingly. You and your family are very deserving of the blessings that have poured out. At least we all know Heavenly Father doesn't make mistakes :) I am so happy to know things turned out well and that Luke is great! Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and don't worry about what others think. :) We love you guys :)

Connie and Mike said...

Silly people will say and do dumb things. No one blames you for the accident. Things happen... We just need to learn and grow from the experience. The Lord loves us and blesses us so much more than we realize... Bennett and the Suburban, Luke and the shopping cart. We are to see the good that comes from this.
You will treasure those kids more and yell less... because the experience re focused how much you treasure your babies.
Do not allow someone else's lack of faith cause you to question you. Guilt is not from the Lord. And if it's not from the Lord, then who is it's owner??? YA...
Hugs and Kisses out to your and your sweet family.
Glad miracles do happen and they happen every day...

Connie and Mike said...

Miracles happen every day. We are blessed more than we realize. You will treasure your babies more since the realization of the possibility of losing one... more patience and kindness and love...

Hugs
Prayers
Friends.