Monday, August 22, 2011

Luke's Adventure!

So, a lot has happened since my last post.  I love chronological order, but I suppose heart order should come first.  I'm sitting here in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) watching my sweet little Luke finally sleep.  Saturday around 4:00 he fell 4 1/2 feet out of his carseat from an IKEA shopping cart.  He appeared to be totally fine, just with a lovely goose egg.  Around 6:00 he started to throw up and that was our cue to not wait to hear back from any doctor or friend, but to just go to urgent care.  Urgent care sent us to the ER, and within 15 minutes he had stopped breathing, was intubated, had an IV (or two) and was being prepped for his very first helicopter ride!  He arrive at Primary Childrens' Hospital and was in surgery by 10:08.  Two grueling hours later we got to talk to the neurosurgeon and found out that everything went fabulously and he was expected to make a full and complete recovery.  He had unluckily landed in the one weak spot on a babies head and had a crack in his skull about 4 inches. He had also nicked two arteries and was bleeding into his brain.  Babies have about 4 cups of blood in their bodies, and the surgeon suctioned 1 1/2 cups out--just from his head. They actually sawed off the skull, cleaned out around the brain, and put everything back together again. Talk about humpty dumpty!!  The surgeon informed us that if we had been two hours longer we wouldn't have a baby to take home.

We set up camp in the PICU and his recovery has been slow, but steady. We've battled some apnea issues, decreased sodium levels, head leakage, lots of sleepiness and MAJOR swelling.  He looks like he got in one heck of a fight with somebody!  He's eaten on his own--YEAH!-- and has finally found his thumb so is thankfully sleeping as soundly as he can.  He's passing all his neurological tests and he's hitting his goals.  I don't think we will be getting out of the PICU tomorrow, but we're optimistic about Wednesday.  Things can always change, and can change so fast, but currently the talk is that we might be home by the weekend.

Thanks for everybody's thoughts and prayers.  There have been tears all around, and quite a few of them have come because of the love and support from everybody.  Offers to watch our kids, water our garden, feed our fish (which consequently bit the dust during our St. George vacation), bring us food, books and reading material, sit with us, sit with Luke....they have been so appreciated and helpful.  Knowing that there are prayers going up to Heaven all over the nation for our little Luke really touches our hearts. I had a conversation with Heavenly Father (I've had lots actually) and I was willing to give him up, but feel so thankful that I don't have to.

Our Luke, one day before the accident. Look at that beautifully shaped head! :)  Mike gave him a blessing before we left for the hospital and promised a full and complete recovery.  This is the Luke that is going to be coming home with us!


At the hospital, before everything went absolutely nuts.  I still thought at this point that they were going to send us home thinking I was some crazy over-protective Mom.  We had been watching for all the signs--pupils, funny behavior, sleepiness, etc. Until he threw up the first time, he was just normal as could be.  Within 45 minutes of throwing up, however, his hematoma had almost quadrupled and he was on his way to Primary Childrens.  I can safely say I am sure those hours were the worst I've experienced.

 After surgery.  They weren't sure about neck and spinal injuries, so he was in his neck brace for a while.  This was the first time we got to see him since he was being wheeled into surgery.  Brain surgery on my fourth month old...



 Bless Primary Childrens' Hospital. They have trauma down to an art.  They checked him in before he had even arrived at the hospital, only under a fake, computer assigned name. This allowed them to have everything ready to go--no papers to sign, no questions to ask, the blood bank was already ready, the surgeons were waiting.  This was a miracle in and of itself.  Luke is now nicknamed, "Triple Z!"

He's free of the neck brace! Yeah!!


This was a good moment. After waiting all day for him to wake up enough to remember to breath on his own, the ventilator finally came out! Hurray!!



 Avert your eyes, oh ye weak of stomach!  This is one narly scar!!


Too many things poking out of this baby!  So sad!!

 The swelling, as it was supposed to, just keeps going up and up. All the cat scans and CT scans (are those the same things?) come back totally normal and look great.  The human body is so amazing!  As of tonight, he can only open one eye.  I hope the swelling goes down enough soon for him to be able to open both.



 He found his thumb.  So soothing!!

21 comments:

The Ostlers said...

I can't even imagine what you have had to go through the past few days, and you are in our prayers! Your little Luke is so precious, and even though those pictures broke my heart, what a miracle we have the technology to help our babies recover when accidents happen. Keep us updated!

Samuelson Family said...

Oh MIndy! Your post has me in tears. I can't even imagine being in your shoes. Love you and know we are praying hard for all of you. I am so glad he is doing better. Keep up posted. xo

Lisa said...

Mike and Mindy and family,
I am so grateful for prayer and priesthood blessings in Luke's behalf. He is so beautiful and so little, what a sad and difficult thing for this little man and his family to go through. So grateful for amazing doctors that are directed by our Father in Heaven to preform a miraculous surgery to heal Luke. Your pictures are just heart breaking. I know that you have been greatly blessed! Love you all, Lisa Murray

Tiffany said...

My heart aches for little Luke! I hope your family is holding up well through this ordeal. Love you!

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh Mindy I am so sad to see those pictures but so very happy that he is doing great! So traumatic for you guys,hang in there, sounds like he'll be fine! Love modern technology! My brother works on life flight, I will ask him if he worked Sat! Praying for you guys!

Luke&Megz said...

Mindy I am in your parents ward and heard about Luke from Brielle. I can't even imagine going through something like that with such a tiny baby, Heavenly Father was certainly watching out for him and blessing you to know something was wrong. You are in our prayers, I'm so glad he is expected to be ok! Your faith and positive attitude is a great example, thank you!
-Megan Flinders

Shae said...

mindy! i am in complete tears! thanks for sharing this experience with all of us. what a journey you have been on the last few days, and will be on the next while, still. i am so grateful that things have been on the up and up, and that you and your family has had such strong faith through all of this. i can't even imagine what you are going through, because this totally tears at my heart strings to see his little tiny body going through so much! we will continue to keep you in our prayers for a quick and healthy recovery.

Julie said...

What a beautiful, strong little baby! We are so glad he is progressing. He is in our thoughts and prayers constantly!

Kiersti said...

That poor baby - what great parents you are for listening to your intuition (aka, the Spirit) or this could have been a very different post. I can't help but think of you guys when I look down at Jane because they are so close in age, and my heart breaks for you. But at the same time I am so incredibly happy that he is going to be OK, happy for modern medicine and the power of the Priesthood. Anyway, now I'm crying, enough out of me! Your family is in my thoughts and prayers :)

RaDawn said...

Wow! You guys sure have been through a lot. We pray for Luke and for you. The worry, the fear, the relief, it all takes its toll on parents. Hang in there! We are grateful that Luke is improving and pray for a speedy recovery. Love Ya!

Christine said...

Wow, I'm so glad he's ok! We have been praying for him and your family since we got Aunt Rozla's email. You have always been such an example of faith to me. Thank you for posting this!

Wes, Nicki, and Boys said...

Mindy, after reading this post I just have to tell you that you are so AMAZING! I am in total awe of you! Nothing shakes your faith! I am so grateful that I know you! You are such an awesome example to all of us! I was in tears reading your post obviously because it is so so sad but also because your faith is so strong! Thank you for being you Mindy!! I love you lots!! Thanks for trusting me to take care of your other two precious angels!!

Emily said...

Mindy, you are amazing. While I was reading your post I couldn't help but think how I would handle a situation like that with Seth, and I can tell you that you are an amazing person and mother. What a scary thing! I'm so happy that little Luke is going to be okay.
We'll keep him and you in our prayers. Love you guys!

alisquire said...

I can't believe what you guys have been going through! I'm glad Luke is on his way to a full recovery. I am amazed at your positive attitude. Good luck with everything!

Rebecca said...

Oh Mindy, this has to be so traumatic for you and your family. Thank you for the updates. We have been thinking of you and praying for you and your sweet baby.

Nola said...

Mindy, I had no idea. My heart is completely with you; something prompted me to look at your Facebook page. You will be totally in our prayers, and I will put your name in the Choir prayer roll. You have certainly been blessed, and I am praying that you will continue to be blessed. We love you. Keep us posted.
Wendell and Nola Child

Diana said...

Thinking about and praying for you and your family. I can't imagine how hard this is and I am so thankful for the miracles that you are receiving!

The Dahls said...

Oh Mindy!! I've been keeping up on this via FB and you and your tiny little fighter have been in our prayers. What a sweet little boy. And kudos to your faith!! Stay strong!!

Connie and Mike said...

Ok... first prayers then tears... Your family is so blessed to have him with you. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the faith and hope He offers us.

Know that you are in our prayers and the many prayers from the temple.

If you have needs don't forget about Holly and I to help...

We sure love you and your family. I will let Al know so he can add his prayers to those already going upwards to Heaven.

Hugs

Kirsten Knowles said...

Oh wow Mindy!! What a rush of emotions!! I'm so glad he's expected to have a complete recovery!! What a miracle!! So grateful for a loving Heavenly Father especially when he watches over his little ones!!

Kierston said...

Wow what a story. Good thing you were watching him close. You are amazing. I remember those talks with Heavenly Father wondering if we would have a baby to bring home. He has something big in store for this little guy. You are in our thoughts and prayers.