Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Things I've learned


We just got word that Luke gets to leave the ICU today--really, any time now.  What a relief! What a miracle!  Would you believe its only been 4 days? Brain surgery folks--really, truly, skin pulled back, skull sawed open, brain exposed brain surgery.  How can you not say that miracles happen?

I've learned some things here; while we wait I thought I'd share!

*NICU/PICU cribs are really great--they roll, they drop down on all sides, they elevate either or both ends.  Sort of ugly, but really functional!

*Hospital residents and fellows never leave. I mean never. I have a new appreciation for spouses and families of these dedicated healers (thanks Elena!!)

*Seeing life flight helicopters makes me literally sick to my stomach

*Miracles happen a lot--both big and small.  



*I am not a Hispanic person who lives in a trailer home in Pocatello Idaho, unlike all my hospital paperwork says

*Our adventure is going to rack up a lovely total of $70,000 +

*Lonely hours are best spent with a hubby and a mom--one should never be here alone with your sick baby

*The parent sleep rooms are really dark, and earplugs are required at times to drown out the crying

*You cannot get cell reception in the halls, in the waiting rooms, in the cafeteria, or parking structure--just in 
the patients rooms and outside




*My very favorite nurses here in the PICU have been males, except one, who was female (obviously)

*They have bathrooms all over this place!

*I LOVE the hand sanitizer they have--it's lotiony!

*These rooms are freezing!  Pack a jacket if you come to visit

*Lots of people love my little Luke--and, I guess, me too!





*People will come out of the woodwork to help--meals, mowing lawns, watching babies, taking over events, phone calls, texts, emails, prayers--everybody wants to do something to help.

*The Spirit is stronger by a NICU crib




*The two hours spent waiting to hear if your son has survived brain surgery are the worst two hours of ones life.

*The 27 minute drive to the hospital to find out if your son survived the helicopter ride are the worst 27 minutes of ones life.

*Time seems to change in the PICU--it feels like we've been here for weeks and weeks, and yet, hours seem to pass really quickly.

*The rooms across the hall have a better view

*There is ice cream in the fridge in the hospitality room--and slurpees!

*Having your family divided is rotten

*Hearing your 4 year old pray for your baby is too tender for words




*Grandpa's have a hard time focusing on teaching the first day of school when things aren't going so well at the hospital; Grandpas are also the best at asking questions

*Everything in the hospital beeps--everything!

*Reading scriptures is more powerful and effective after a good cry

*I miss my YW

*Husbands are absolutely essential to survival







*Baby smiles ARE. THE. BEST





*Aunts from far away send the best presents!




*I am blessed far beyond what I deserve--I've got a lot of work to do to give back!

*The human skull will grow back together with just a few stitches

*Throwing up after a head injury means go to the doctor...NOW!

*Prayer works!


*Harry Potter is good reading for getting your mind off things for a bit

*Sometimes crying is the best thing you can do

*The night nurses are the best

*Luke likes his eyebrows rubbed




*Luke does not like his IV's

*Every diaper is weighed before it's thrown away

*Peace is a feeling that can be ever present, ever powerful, encouraging, and strengthening all at once.  


*Faith is powerful

*Families are Forever: this is true now, but it would have also been true if Luke had left his earthly home

*Bathrooms are the most effective place to pray

*Grandmas are tirelessly supportive and attentive--they are a must as a hospital side-kick!


*Sleep is a good and bad thing




*Pinterest is good for passing hours of boredom


*The best sacrament meetings I've been to have been times when I'm wearing street clothes


*Priesthood blessings heal, and bring comfort

*Scarred heads get the girls!




*Miracles don't have to be big to be miracles--have you ever thought about the miracle of sleep? Or being about to smile? Or being able to stand up? Or cell phones? Or salt?


*Contacts are not compatible with no sleep and tears

*Soups are okay, but don't buy anything else from the cafeteria

*Heavenly Father blesses the siblings too






*Swelling goes up before it goes down

*Sodium is apparently really important to the human body

*Sleep apnea is scary--I think it's scarier when it's watched on a monitor

*Human touch is powerful medicine, for all ages!



*UPDATE!  Leaving your baby alone in the hospital is the pits--!  :(  He has moved floors and we were certainly spoiled in the ICU!!  We are waiting on one more test--results coming at 6:30 in the morning--and then I'm fighting to break free baby!! Let's bring my baby home!!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh Mindy, I'm so sorry you have to go through this! My friend across the street has spent her fair share of time at PCH since her 3 yr. old was born with heart problems. At the beginning of the year he was stuck there for 99 days, while she had a baby just Luke's age at home. I know how hard it was for her and I'm so sad that you have to go through it too. I'm so glad, and shocked, that he is improving so quickly! We're still praying for him and hopefully you'll get to go home soon! Oh, and if you see a ceiling tile that looks like a sun and says "Carter," that's him! I love how kid friendly they are there. It really helped when we went for Josh. Let me know if I can help in any way!

Shae said...

Mindy--again I am in tears. What a miracle you and your family have been able to witness these last several days. You have strengthened me SO much with your faith! Baby Luke is definitely gonna be telling his story all his life, and he's gonna be one strong kid--both physically and spiritually because of all of this. We will continue to pray for your family.

Deanna said...

I'm in tears Mindy. You've been through a lot and learned a lot. Yea for bringing babies home!

Wes, Nicki, and Boys said...

I can't say it enough Mindy....you are AMAZING!! Thank you for your testimony!!!

Elena said...

I read this and sobbed. I've been in PCMC chapel so many times as a nurse and had wonderful answers to prayer there.

You missed the part about doctors and nurses loving Luke's awesome Mom. I'm not there but I know it's true.

If you think Primary's food is bad, try over at the U's hospital cafeteria.

I have shed so many tears and said so many prayers for you, your family and sweet Luke. He must have a great work to do here on earth if Heavenly Father poured out so many blessings and miracles to keep him here. What a lucky guy to have you and Mike as parents.

scrapbookerpjd said...

i cant type much because of a broken hand but i wanted you to know that you and your little family continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. i echo all that has been said by others. . . you are amazing, you are supported by wonderful people and luke is one lucky little boy to have such fabulous parents. your testimony and example continues to strenghten mine. love you lots my friend!

Traci said...

Sorry to hear about all that you are going through. I'm praying that everything continues to go well and you can take your baby home soon.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, and I don't really know you...but I found your link on Spencer Felt's messages. Spencer belongs to my friend Nancy. I couldn't resist going to your blog to read your words of wisdom. They truly are wonderful words to read. What a blessing you are to Nancy and everyone (even a stranger like me)! Thank you for sharing your link and your heartfelt words. I wiped away tears after reading them and looking at the pictures of your beautiful baby. Your willingness to be supportive to Nancy is so sweet. It means a world of difference when someone has "actually" been in your shoes.