Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ode to Swiss Chard--



We have been growing Swiss Chard. It's beautiful growing in the bed, and in the south...it's the thing to have. If you are southern, you love the stuff. We decided to grow some in our garden, and tonight was the night to harvest and enjoy! Check it out!

Here it is growing...see, beautiful! So colorful and lush looking. And I'm throwing in some extra pictures as well...look at our beautiful garden. Yes, it's March 1st. :)


Katelyn LOVES the peas. We actually haven't ever eaten these for dinner, cuz they never make it all the way inside before they are eaten! Yum!

Brussels Sprouts...I think I'm going to like these, Mike is not as sure!
One of our beautiful garden beds! Yum!!


We found two recipes that we thought we would try. There are two basic ways to fix Swiss Chard--you can make it into something saucy (and serve with noodles, etc), or steam it down with garlic, bacon, etc. We decided to try them both.


(Wertlet with the chard...and a chocolate face!)

It was fun to cook something new...it felt very culinary school and southern.
Here's our finished product...it even looks pretty on the plate!



And the verdict is...drum roll please...

It tastes just like dirt smells...very earthly...an acquired taste (which we're not going to bother to acquire)...something we would eat if we were starving, but not really by choice...we'd rather have the space in the garden for something else, anything else!

Here is dinner...after dinner. It ended up being a cold cereal night, afterall! :)


5 comments:

Elder and Sister Dunn said...

I am way impressed by your garden. I haven't even heard of Swiss Chard but plan on taking your advice and staying far away from it. Dirt just isn't appealing.

Marissa said...

I'm very jealous of your garden! It looks so nice. So tell me when did you plant it? So I know for next year. We have some pumpkins coming up, so hopefully they will do well and I will have lots to freeze in the fall.

Kristin said...

Oh, sad!!! At least you were adventerous!

Meg Williams said...

Ok, so I think I might be a southern girl at heart- living with Katie for a few years certainly taught me about Southern cooking, and I think you did the chard wrong- i mean, yeah, it's a lot like Spinach and tastes kind of earthy- but if you cook up a bunch of bacon and then sautee the Chard in the bacon fat and serve with the crispy crunchy bacon pieces, it's delicious. We eat more Kale than Chard, but same idea.

Emily said...

That's hilarious. The big build-up of excitement and then..."It tastes like dirt." ;) Ah well, I guess it was worth a try. And it will save Luke and I the experience of tasting it!