Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Homemaker

I'm a bit nervous about sharing these thoughts...I'm super worried about offending people and this is broaching possibly tender territory...but broach I will.  ;)

Homemaker.

I took the kids to the elementary school today to have Luke do his Kindergarten testing.  While he met with the teacher I filled out paperwork and the big kids gave Lizzy a tour of the school.  I filled out shot records and address and emergency contact forms. I filled out phone numbers and special needs Luke might have--you know the drill.  I got to a portion of the form that had me fill out Mike's work information and mine.  

Name: Mindy Williams.  
Occupation: Homemaker.  

I little lump got caught in my throat. Homemaker.  HOMEmaker.  What a job!  What a HUGE job!

I was chatting with my sister-in-law last weekend. Her babies are growing up and will all be in school this year. She's been researching things she can do to fill her time and midst the research it looks like her husband may be having some career changes.  One of the possible changes would mean a lot of hours worked and many hours from home, which means a lot of long hours for mom at home.  She talked about how it would be important to make herself available to make a good dinner and keep on top of the house and help the kids with stability...'at the risk of putting feminism behind 50 years, I just will need to be home more, you know?' 

I'm confused about feminism.  I'm confused when things changed from Mothers being honored and loved and cared for--to people looking down on those who stay home.  When it seems like 'Homemaking' is nothing more than TV watching and taking long afternoon naps. I know I'm opening a can of worms here--plenty of women have been demeaned and hurt and held back. Many have been abused and looked down on and treated as 2nd rate.  But not all.  Certainly not me.  I don't feel less than, or lower than, or not important: not at home, not at church, not in my marriage. I feel blessed that this is the case.

I feel blessed to be a HOMEmaker. I can't think of a better job.  I could do ANYTHING.  I'm a smart cookie with good ideas and great skills and am eager to learn (as long as it's not math!).  I could do all those things the world tells me I should do as a woman...but I CHOOSE to be at home. To put all those skills to use here.  To teach and learn and use those skills at HOME.  And I know it is a blessing not afforded to everyone. I know the feeling of contentment and fulfillment is not something that everyone has.  I don't think I'm a minority, but sometimes I wonder that maybe I am.  Regardless, and in hopes I don't hurt or offend anyone...HOMEmaker.  The greatest calling and blessing there is.  I'm not curing cancer or running a board room or breaking any glass ceilings.  I'm building a home.  One dish, one dinner, one bum wiped, one sleepless night, one kissed forehead, one nutella lunch, one snuggle, one welcome-home-honey-kiss, one storybook, one prayer at a time.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.  It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are amazing and I am glad to be in the homemaker club with you :) You said it very well!!! :)

Meg Williams said...

I think feminism means you have the choice to do whatever you want and anyone who says that Feminism is set back by people taking advantage of those choices, even at the decision to stay home, doesn't really understand what it is either. I'm very happy I live in a time where I can choose to have a career and work all day and make money to pay for the things that I love to do- and it enabled me to fall in love with and want to spend my life with a Public School teacher who, quite frankly, works more hours than I do and makes close to HALF my salary with a lot more stress. I really love to work, I really love my job and constant challenges it gives me on a VERY intellectual level. I love that after my divorce I was able to fully support myself and be completely free from my manipulative free-loading ex... but these are things that apply to me and I don't expect that they do (or should) apply to anyone else and if my sisters are truly happy doing what they do, which they seem to be, then I'm all for that! THAT is all feminism is (as I understand it), the ability to make choices for themselves, regardless of their gender- like many fights for equality, all most are asking for is equality of opportunity.

Wes, Nicki, and Boys said...

Love this my friend!!! Couldn't agree with you more!! It's great to be reminded from time to time about how important our jobs are so thanks for that! I needed this today! -Nicki

RaDawn said...

C.S. Lewis once said: “The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only - and that is to support the ultimate career. ”

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.