Saturday, November 14, 2009

Good Ol' Deseret Book...


Ever had a job you loved? I mean, like really, really loved? Where the good days far outweighed the bad days, and where you pretty much were happy to go to work every day you were supposed to? Well, I did. (I guess I still do...being a Mom is pretty much awesome!)
Thursday we went to Provo with my Mom, Grandma, and Aunts. In addition to being totally fun, it was great to visit my old stomping grounds. Of course we had to make a visit to the mall, and, although I knew it was happening, I was sad to see my store was gone.
When I started college, I got my dream job--a job at Deseret Book. I think I had wanted to work there my whole life. I started working in Salt Lake at the ZCMI store, and then transferred to the University Mall store when I transferred to BYU.
On Thursday, I was surprisingly sad as I look around and realized that what used to be Deseret Book was now the new Tai Pan Trading store. Deseret Book moved just across the parking lot, and I love Tai Pan Trading...it was just that all those times were so good, and now, the store looked so different.

I'm grateful for that job--I loved it. I'm so glad I left before I wanted to...so many of my friends outgrew Deseret Book, outgrew Provo, outgrew BYU before they could leave and they left with such a bitter taste in their mouth. Not me...so, thanks to everybody who helped make that part of my life so good...Lindy, Christy, Becky, Keri, Tracy, Katherine, Mal, Mark, Nate...everybody.
I loved working 'in our DB way!'








I guess, looking back now, it's the people that make a job great--
although the books didn't hurt either!

4 comments:

Christy said...

Mindy - On Friday we were looking through pictures from my first year at Deseret Book. Every time one came up of you, someone remarked about how much you are missed.

I will ALWAYS be grateful for the time we had to work together. You are one whom I will not forget!

By the way, did you check out the new store?

Brielle said...

so so so cute!! i loved it one of those pictures was in george! i love it!! what a good little car!!

Lefty Lindy said...

And don't forget Karl doing his soldier rolls between the shelves shooting rubber bands!
You are one of best examples I know of choosing a good attitude.
I will NEVER forget the times you randomly just bit my shoulder! I harder knew you yet! :)

Traci said...

I Love DB. I know I was very ready to leave when I did (it was just time to move on), but I loved that place. So many fun memories and great friends!