Friday, September 6, 2013

Are you a Reader?

I've been reading THIS book for my bookclub, and I'm really liking it.  


I know that his method seems a bit too good to be true--"Kid on drugs, Read! He's off drugs.", "Low test scores, Read! High test scores!" "Bullied in class, Read! Friends in class", etc. etc.  You can find research to argue you point, either side of the line.  However, I think the foundation is true and I really do think reading--alone, outloud, in a classroom, to your kids--will solve a myriad of problems.  Or at least it can't hurt.

That being said, I decided to make some bookshelves for my kiddos.  We have books all. over. the. stinking. place.  I mean all over.  This is my attempt to try and wrangle the chaos and hopefully encourage the kiddos to read. I'm a read--an avid reader.  There have been too many nights to count that I have stayed up late reading, only to start again early the next morning to finish!  I'm a frequenter at our library and I'm always looking for more suggestions. My only hope is that it will rub off on the kiddos! 

I love how these turned out.  And they were free! (Bonus of being a wood scavenger!)




PS...to my teacher friends. I'm serious--get a copy of this book, and read it. I can only imagine it would help your classroom, at any age!

PPS--don't judge the lack of cuteness of this room. Katelyn likes to sleep with the boys, but doesn't want blue.  And I still haven't finished those darn comforters!  One day, this room will be Pinterest worthy! ;)


1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh. My. Craftiness. I LOVE those bookshelves. I am totally going to make some of those. It's the perfect size!